CPES Focus Area: Outdoor Science Learning
Outdoor Science Learning
Focus on Outdoor Science LearningWe prepare teachers to take their students out into local environments for authentic and relevant learning experiences using direct hands-on experiences in school grounds and local natural areas such as state parks. Participants in these programs typically experience gains in their confidence and sense of efficacy in teaching science generally, as well as teaching science outdoors, after completing the program.
Citizen scientists, including middle and high school youth, who participate in Caterpillars Count! conduct surveys on trees and shrubs to aid in measuring the seasonal variation and abundance of arthropods like caterpillars and beetles.
A one-week geoscience-focused summer institute during which middle and high school youth explore the hydrology of Eastern North Carolina from local river basins to the ocean, learning about climate impacts and solutions in their local community and investigating geoscience careers along the way.
Geoscience Teaching Outdoors in NC is designed to engage middle and high school STEM teachers and their students in hands-on, inquiry-based activities to support student learning about earth and environmental science.
A year-long professional development program for elementary teachers and NC State Park rangers to foster collaborative development of memorable learning experiences for students in State Parks.
This high school student science enrichment program is a partnership between the UNC-Chapel Hill Institute for the Environment, UNC-Pembroke, and Robeson Early College High School. This program is free for students; financial support is provided by Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
Outdoor Science Learning Resources
- 3rd Grade | Force & Motion on the Playground (PDF)
- 3rd Grade | Plants (PDF)
- 4th Grade | Animal Adaptations (PDF)
- 4th Grade | Rocks & Minerals (PDF)
- 5th Grade | Ecosystems & Interdependence (PDF)
- 5th Grade | Weather (PDF)
- Beaver Adaptations (PDF)
- Biodiversity Soup! A Look at Lake Ecology (PDF)
- Bird Identification Hike (PDF)
- Exploring the Geographical Region and Ecosystems of the Tar-Pamlico Watershed (PDF)
- Fox: An Ecosystem Name Game (PDF)
- Go Outdoors! Tips & Tricks (PDF)
- Habitat Adventure Trail (PDF)
- Habitat Adventure Trail – Answer Key (PDF)
- Habitat Adventure Trail – Instructions (PDF)
- Have You Ever? Natural Science Icebreaker (PDF)
- Holly Discovery Trail (no creek) (PDF)
- Holly Discovery Trail (no creek) – Answer Key (PDF)
- Holly Discovery Trail (no creek) – Instructions (PDF)
- Holly Discovery Trail (with creek) (PDF)