CPES Focus Area: Energy
Focus on EnergyWe work to promote an energy literate society by providing teacher professional development and summer science enrichment activities for high school students that give participants access to current scientific information and relevant resources to help make informed decisions in an interdisciplinary, hands-on and minds-on format.
During this free summer institute, high school students conduct hands-on and minds-on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities to examine society’s current use of energy and the technological solutions that will support a low-carbon future.
A year-long teacher professional development program showcasing current energy science, technologies and careers to enhance Energy Literacy Fellows’ ability to deliver energy-related content, conduct STEM-based activities and promote STEM career opportunities to students.
- Calculating Your Carbon Footprint (PDF)
- Connecting Electrical Consumption to Coal & Carbon Dioxide (PDF)
- Energy Justice in NC and Beyond (Register to download this lesson) (External Link)
- Evaluating Woody Biomass Options for North Carolina’s Electricity Future (PDF)
- Exploring Grid Resilience as an Approach to Evaluating Energy Sources & Addressing Climate Impacts (PDF)
- Fueling the Future: Evaluating the Sustainability of Biofuels (PDF)
- Generating Electricity: Evaluating the Sustainability of Today’s & Tomorrow’s Energy Sources (PDF)
- Hidden Energy: Secondary Carbon Footprints (PDF)
- What is Sustainability (PDF)