The 2018 UNC Clean Tech Summit will be held at UNC’s William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education.The William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education, as it is officially named, honors two North Carolinians who have devoted their lives to enhancing and improving the lives of their fellow citizens through their work in education, the arts, and public health. William C. Friday served as president of the University of North Carolina for thirty years, while his wife, Ida, has promoted the arts through her work with a number of North Carolina arts organizations.
Map, Parking and Transportation
The Friday Center is in central North Carolina, near the Raleigh state capital, three major universities, Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), and Research Triangle Park.
Parking: We have parking for 540 vehicles as well as additional space for charter buses. See this Parking Map for details on guest parking.
Public Transit: The Friday Center is served by both public and private transportation services. Several bus routes of the Chapel Hill Transit system serve our area.
UNC’s bike-share Program, Tar Heel Bikes, has been expanded to offer free bike rentals in the Olde Campus Lower Quad on northern campus, as well as at Morrison Residence Hall.
UNC Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) members can now join Zipcar for free! Sign up for the free membership at zipcar.com/unccap and join CAP at cap.unc.edu. Hourly rates start at $7.50 per hour (for Ford cars), with gas and insurance included. Zipcar has added a Ford C-Max behind the Public Safety building, so now Zipcar members can reserve a hybrid vehicle at just $7.50 per hour ($8.50 for weekends).
GPS Address: 100 Friday Center Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
- From Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and west: Take I-40 East to Exit 273 (Hwy 54 West/Chapel Hill). Turn right at top of ramp. Proceed approximately 2 miles and turn left onto Friday Center Drive. Take the second right into the Friday Center parking area. Guest parking is on the left; the Friday Center is on the right.
- From Durham: Take I-85 South to 15-501. Take I-40 East to Exit 273 and follow the directions above.
- From Charlotte: Take I-85 North to Greensboro and follow the directions from Greensboro above.
- From Raleigh: Take I-40 West to Exit 273A (Hwy 54 West/Chapel Hill). Proceed approximately 2 miles and turn left onto Friday Center Drive. Take the second right into the Friday Center parking area. Guest parking is on the left; the Friday Center is on the right.
- From south of Chapel Hill, arriving on Hwy 15-501 North: Take the 15-501/54 East bypass as you approach Chapel Hill. Proceed approximately 2 miles and take the Hwy 54 East exit toward Raleigh. Proceed 1 mile and turn right onto Friday Center Drive. Take the second right into the Friday Center parking area. Guest parking is on the left; the Friday Center is on the right.
Explore Our Town
Chapel Hill and the surrounding area is a great place to eat, explore, shop, and play. If you have free time during your stay, discover some of our most popular attractions. For ideas, recommendations, and reviews, visit: