- Eaves, L.A., Keil, A.P., Rager, J.E., George, A., & Fry, R.C. (2021). Analysis of the novel NCWELL database highlights two decades of co-occurrence of toxic metals in North Carolina private well water: Public health and environmental justice implications. Science of the Total Environment. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.151479
- Thomas, J., & George, A. (2021). The efficacy of private well testing in North Carolina for predicting childhood blood lead levels. Int Public Health J. 13(4), 431. Retrieved from: https://www.proquest.com/docview/2616545044/fulltext/C5FD98DE6DC440F6PQ/2
- Gray, K.M., Triana, V., Lindsey, M., Richmond, B., Hoover, A.G., & Wiesen, C. Knowledge and Beliefs Associated with Environmental Health Literacy: A Case Study Focused on Toxic Metals Contamination of Well Water. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 18(17):9298. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18179298
- Little, S., Pavelsky, T. M., Hossain, F., Ghafoor, S., Parkins, G.M., Yelton, S.K., Rodgers, M., Yang, X., Crétaux, J-F., Hein, C., Ullah, M. A., Lina, D. H., Thiede, H., Kelly, D., Wilson, D., Topp, S. N. (2021). Monitoring Variations in Lake Water Storage with Satellite Imagery and Citizen Science. Water. 13(7), 949. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13070949
- Refvem, E. & Haine, D.B. (2021). GENERATE: The Game of Energy Choices Promoting Energy Literacy while Cultivating Systems Thinking. The Science Teacher. Retrieved from: https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2021/09/TST_JulyAug2021_p52-57Refvem.pdf
- Gray, K.M., LePrevost, C.E., & Cope, W.E. (2020). Anglers’ Views on Using Signs to Communicate Fish Consumption Advisories. Fisheries.
- Ahmad, S.K., Hossain, F., Pavlesky, T., Parkins, G., Yelton, S., Rodgers, M., Little, S., Haldar, D., Ghafoor, S., Khan, R., Shawn, N., Haque, A., Biswas, R., (2020). Understanding Volumetric Water Storage in Monsoonal Wetlands of Northeastern Bangladesh. Water Resources Research, 56.
- Lebow-Skelley, E., Yelton, S., Janssen, B., Erdei, E., Pearson, M.A. (2020). Identifying Issues and Priorities in Reporting Back Environmental Health Data. Internation Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17, 6742.
- Tomlinson, M.S., Bommarito, P., George, A., Yelton, S., Cable, P., Coyte, R., Karr, J., Vengosh, A., Gray, K.M., & Fry, R.C. (2019). Assessment of inorganic contamination of private wells and demonstration of effective filter-based reduction: A pilot-study in Stokes County, North Carolina. Environmental Research, 177.
- Gray, K.M. (2018). From content knowledge to community change: A review of representations of environmental health literacy. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(3), 466.
- Gray, K.M., Ragan, NS, & Blanchard, MR. (2018). Modeling instruction and its influence on autonomy, competence, relatedness and pedagogical content knowledge. Electronic Proceedings of the European Science Education Research Association 2017 Conference.
- Haine, D.B. (2018). The Exposome: Making Chemical Exposures Relevant to Biology Instruction. The American Biology Teacher, 80 (8), 600-607. https://nabt.org/files/galleries/ABT_Online_Oct_18.pdf
- Savasta-Kennedy, M., George, A., Anderson, T., Corey, L., Randive, C., Ruben, B., Washington, J., White, S., Cralle Jones, C., Lane, M.R., & Gray, K. (2022). Why test your well water? A brochure to inform private well users about testing drinking water before real estate transfers. Chapel Hill, NC: UNC Superfund Research Program.
- Pavelsky, T.M., Ghafoor, S., Hossain, F., Parkins, G.M., Yelton, S.K., Little, S.B., Topp, S.N., Rodgers, M., & Yang, X. (2019). Monitoring the world’s lakes: Progress from citizen science and remote sensing. Environmental Management Magazine.
- Gray, M., & Lindsey, M. (2019). Measuring environmental health literacy. In L. O’Fallon & S. Finn (Eds.), Environmental health literacy. New York, NY: Springer.
- Korfmacher, K.S., Pettibone, K.G., Gray, K.M., & Newman, O.D. (2016). Collaborating for systems change: A social science framework for academic roles in community partnerships. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy, 26(3), 429-457.
- Engel, L.S., Graves, N., & Gray, K.M. (2017) Enhancing community capacity: Understanding and Mapping Community Environmental Impacts of Hurricane Matthew. Retrieved from https://sph.unc.edu/files/2017/12/Hurricane-Matthew-EH-hazards-preliminary-report-20170915-final.pdf
Curricula and Lessons
- Haine, D.B., Yelton, S., Dion, L., Strada, M., Xenakis, J. (2021) Arsenic exposure: Exploring the intersection of environmental health and susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2, A Digital Interactive Notebook. UNC-Chapel Hill Superfund Research Program. Retrieved from https://sph.unc.edu/superfund-pages/resources-for-educators/
Haine, D.B. & Hickman, E. H. (2021). Biomedical Research on E-cigarettes | Investigating the Impact of E-cigarettes on Airway Inflammation and Asthma, A Digital Interactive Notebook. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2021/09/Beyond-Nicotine-Lesson-3-_-Facilitator-Guide_2021_Final.pdf
- Haine, D.B. (2020). Extreme Heat & Air Quality: Implications for Human Health (Online training module for public health professionals). Retrieved from https://www.train.org/virginia/course/1089727/
- Haine, D.B. (2020). Exploring grid resilience as an approach to evaluating energy sources & addressing climate impacts. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2020/09/Grid-Resilience_2020_Final.pdf
- Haine, D.B. & Hickman, E. H. (2020). Evaluating the effects of flavored electronic cigarettes on the respiratory immune system. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2020/07/Beyond-Nicotine-Lesson-1.pdf
- Haine, D.B. & Hickman, E.H. (2020). Evaluating the bioenergetic effects of flavored electronic cigarettes on respiratory immune cells. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2020/08/Beyond-Nicotine-Lesson-2.pdf
- Greene, L.V., Yelton, S.K., Haine, D.B., & Stadelman, T. (2019) 3rd Grade Physical Science: Force & Motion on the Playground [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2019/09/3rd-Grade-Force-Motion-on-the-Playground_Final-Version.pdf
- Greene, L.V., Yelton, S.K., Haine, D.B., & Stadelman, T. (2019) 3rd Grade Life Science: Plants [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2019/09/3rd-Grade-Plants_Final-Version_Web.pdf
- Greene, L.V., Yelton, S.K., Haine, D.B., & Stadelman, T. (2019) 4th Grade Life Science: Animal Adaptations [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2019/09/4th-Grade-Animal-Adaptations_Final-Version.pdf
- Greene, L.V., Yelton, S.K., Haine, D.B., & Stadelman, T. (2019) 4th Grade Earth Science: Rocks and Minerals [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2019/09/4th-Grade-Rocks-Minerals_Final-Version.pdf
- Greene, L.V., Yelton, S.K., Haine, D.B., & Stadelman, T. (2019) 5th Grade Life Science: Ecosystems [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2019/09/5th-Grade-Ecosystems_Final-Version_Web.pdf
- Stadelman, T., Haine, D.B., Greene, L.V., & Yelton, S.K. (2019) 5th Grade: Weather [PDF file]. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2019/09/5th-Grade-Weather_Final-Version_Web.pdf
- Haine, D.B. (2018) The Exposome: Making Chemical Exposures Relevant to Biology Instruction. (Researcher: Jim Swenberg, DVM, PhD) Retrieved from https://nabt.org/files/galleries/ABT_Online_Oct_18.pdf
- Haine, D.B., Fallone, C., Gray, K.M., & Korfmacher, K. (2018). Air Sensor Stories Workshop (Community workshop presentation materials). Retrieved from https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/environmental-health-sciences/community-engagement-core/projects-partnerships/air-sensor-stories-workshop/workshop-materials.aspx
- Stadelman, T. (2017) Mills and the Changing Landscape (EGRET lesson). Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2018/11/FINAL-EGRET-Mills-and-the-Changing-Landscape.pdf
- Drostin, M. and Yelton, S.K. (2016) Exploring the Geographical Region and Ecosystems of the Tar-Pamlico Watershed (EGRET). Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2018/11/ALL-Lessons-and-Background-FINAL_7-18.pdf
- Haine, D.B. (2016) Climate Change: A Human Health Perspective. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Retrieved from https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/scied/teachers/cchh/index.cfm
- Haine, D.B. (2014) Obesity-associated breast cancer risk: a role for epigenetics? An examination of evidence. (Researcher: Liza Makowski, PhD) https://ie.unc.edu/dna-epigenetics/
- Haine, D.B. (2012) DNA Methylation & Cadmium Exposure in utero: An Epigenetic Analysis Activity for Students. (Researcher: Rebecca Fry, PhD) https://ie.unc.edu/dna-epigenetics/
- Haine, D.B. (2009) DNA Wrap: Packaging Matters, An Introduction to Epigenetics. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/dna-epigenetics/
- Drostin, M., Haine, D., and Pavelsky, T. (2013) Using remote sensing data to evaluate water resources in North Carolina. Retrieved from https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/277/2014/12/Using_Remote_Sensing_Data_to_Evaluate_Water_Resources_in_NC_LESSON_with-materials.pdf