What is a “geo”?
A “geo” works or does research in the geosciences. Geosciences means all of the STEM disciplines that study air, earth, rocks, oceans, water, weather and other parts of the natural environment. A geoscientist can also mean someone who studies how environmental problems affect human health.
About the Program
This high school student science enrichment program is a partnership between the UNC-Chapel Hill Institute for the Environment, UNC-Pembroke, and Robeson Early College High School. This program is free for students; financial support is provided by Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
This program is designed for students to:
- Connect with and learn from geoscientists who live and work in North Carolina
- Engage with other high school students interested in geoscience or STEM
- Investigate the natural world through fun field trips and hands-on activities
- Prepare for a job, career, or college degree in geoscience or STEM
In 2023, Robeson County students (18+ years old) can apply for Summer Internships (4-week program for rising 12th (or RECHS 13th ) grade students).
Monday, April 17 at 6pm
Zoom link: https://unc.zoom.us/j/98920030244
- June 28-30, in-person at RECHS, 10am-3pm
- July 2-28, in-person internship at UNC-Chapel Hill
- July 31, Student Showcase at RCC or UNC-Pembroke
RECHS (June 28-30) and UNC-Chapel Hill (July 2-28)
Rising 12th grade (or RECHS 13th grade) Robeson County students with priority given to RECHS students. Students must be 18 years old to come to UNC-CH. Students who are 17 years old may apply and every effort will be made to place them in a local internship.
Lunch and snacks for in-person events, four weeks of housing at UNC-Chapel Hill, and $1,275 stipend
No cost for students
Will be provided on-campus at UNC-Chapel Hill. Students will have double occupancy rooms with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. An undergraduate or graduate student will live with students on campus to provide supervision and support.
- To participate in this program, you must be nominated by a teacher or adult mentor (not a family member). Please share the program information with a teacher/mentor who knows you well and, if they wish to nominate you, ask them to email Megan Hughes at email@example.com. We will then contact your teacher/mentor for more information.
- Students who have not spent much time away from home are encouraged to apply with a friend or small group. Please let your teacher/mentor know that you are applying as a pair or group.
- Nomination deadline: May 1, 2023
Note: This part of the program will not be offered in 2023.
Health and Safety Precautions
Protection of Minors: This program is registered with the Protection of Minors on Campus office at UNC-Chapel Hill and follows all requirements for youth camps and programs.
Please note that in-person programs are subject to change, rescheduling or cancellation depending on COVID-19 restrictions.
Made Possible by:
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Robeson Early College High School
Latest CPES News
Outreach manager protects NC families (UNC.edu | Feb. 19, 2024)
Neasha Graves provides information and resources to communities about environmental health hazards.Read More
Collaboration and training key to Superfund success (Environmental Factor | Jan. 2024)
Andrew George, of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill SRP Center, discussed the center’s…Read More