As a college student, Kurt Thurber interned on Capitol Hill where he was exposed to environmental policy and issues that would forever stick with him as a person and professional. Now IE’s proposal manager and technical editor, Thurber will take that passion for the environment and apply it to his daily work.

“What attracted me to this role was being able to take what I’ve done well in my professional career and combine that with something I can feel good about. I can see results from the endeavors that I help with,” Thurber said.

Thurber grew up on the eastern shore of Maryland in an active family. In school, he was drawn to writing and was the editor of the school paper. Thurber earned his bachelor’s degree from Mary Washington College in political science. His internship with then U.S. House of Representatives member Jay Inslee of the state of Washington was formative for his career and a launching pad for what would eventually lead him to proposal writing. Inslee now is the governor of Washington.

“I took an entry level position at a nonprofit and I gravitated towards writing assignments and communications,” he said. “Over the last couple of years, I’ve really concentrated on proposal writing and editing and project management and business development.”

Thurber earned his master’s degree from Villanova University in international relations. He also earned a certificate in conflict resolution from the University of Erasmus in The Hague, Netherlands.

“What I bring is the some of the best practices that I’ve had success with as far as building a content library, approaches with deciding what to bid, where to bid, and provide my expertise in those areas. Obviously, the angle is to increase the revenue and business that is brought in.”

Thurber will work with principal investigators in IE and across UNC to identify funding opportunities and develop grant proposals through fulfillment and beyond. He also will assist with editing journal articles and reports, organizing reviewers and review panels and compiling Institutional Review Board approvals.

Thurber and his wife Laurie live in Chatham County with their two young sons, Phineas and Fletcher.

“I am definitely looking forward to a different level of enthusiasm that someone brings to a research project. They want to see the fruition of their work. If I can help make that happen, that’s great!”